Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sweet potato madness

While I was in Cleveland, we stopped at the West Side Public Market to do some grocery shopping before going home. While I was looking at the sweet potatoes in one of the stands, it occurred to me that I've never cooked sweet potatoes before and I enjoy eating them. So I decided to get 4 lbs of sweet potatoes. I ended up cooking three dishes from the sweet potatoes.

The first dish I cooked was sweet potato salad. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of it. The recipe asked for 3/4 cups of mayonnaise but I instead used just 1/2 of it plus less than 1/4 of sriracha sauce to give the salad a kick to it. The salad turned out pretty well. It wasn't really spicy, but there were certainly hints of it.

Sweet Potato Salad



The next dish I cooked was sweet potato fries. When I go out to eat, if there are sweet potato fries as a side, I usually end up getting them. I found a very good recipe from the Instructables web site. My first batch was a complete mess because I left the fries in the oven a little too long. My second batch(the picture above), was a lot better but could still be less blackened. I still have to learn a lot about my oven since ovens vary in terms of heating. My second batch was crunchy and fluffy at the same time. I used mayonnaise as my condiment. Trust me it's really good.

Sweet Potato Fries



The last dish I cooked was sweet mashed potatoes. I've had them before in the past but I never realized that maple syrup was one of the main ingredients. I can see now what makes the potatoes really sweet. The sweet mashed potatoes turned out ok and I still have a lot left since I cooked them last night. I could of put a lot more to it, but wanted to keep it simple. Also even though it tasted good, I could have used less milk thus less mushy.

Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...