Monday, August 13, 2012

Sushi Tomo at Mcknight Road


Before I started working at the Strip District, I used to work right by Mcknight Road near TGI Friday's for a year and a half.  One of the problems about working in that area is that you have to drive everywhere if you want to get lunch.  So for the most part, I would either bring lunch from home or go to the nearby Subway shop(I can sense some people shuddering......).  On my way home after work, I would always notice Sushi Tomo on the left side.  The building and the sign does not really stand out, and the place doesn't seem very jam-packed.  It also does not help that no one I know ever talks about that place, at the same though at least  no one talks bad about it.  So on my way to see some friends at Wexford, I buckled and decided to stop in at Sushi Tomo to see what it's all about.



I got to the restaurant at 6:00 PM, and as you can tell above there weren't very many people.  By the time I left though, the place was filling up pretty good.  As far as atmosphere goes, it's pretty much the opposite of Nakama and that's a good thing.  Throughout the whole dinner, I felt very relaxed and the lack of noise was a bonus.  Usually a no-frills atmosphere equates to pretty good food.



Speaking of food, I ended up getting the wasabi shumai which has pork and shrimp as an appetizer.  From the looks of it, I have a feeling that it might frozen just because it looks a little too perfect.  Frozen or not, I did enjoy it.  The skin didn't really provide any heat, and I really think the wasabi skin is just for show.  They brought the mustard in for heat since the skin doesn't provide that.  However, the pork and shrimp mixture was tasty, juicy, and just the right amount for the shumai.




For my main entree, I got the Hammer Roll.  I really wanted to dance like M.C. Hammer when I got the dish, but there were way too people at the restaurant by that time and I really don't want to be a YouTube star if someone happened to record it.  Maybe if I come in at 2:30 PM, then it could work.  Anyways, it's a spicy tuna roll that is topped with sliced avocado, tempura flakes, and wasabi mayonnaise.  The mayonnaise didn't provide a whole lot of heat, but just enough that you notice and you can still enjoy the flavor.  The flakes add a crunchy element to the roll and the sliced avocado adds additional creaminess to the roll.  The tuna itself didn't wow me, but it was certainly enjoyable.  The star of this roll is truly the other parts that go to this roll.

All in all I had a good experience at Sushi Tomo because the food was great, and I was able to enjoy it in a peaceful, quiet setting.  For all you Nakama lovers out there, give this place a shot.  Your bank account will thank you for it.

Sushi Tomo on Urbanspoon

Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...